Thursday, April 17, 2008

Youth in a jar.....


I know. I obsess about age. I never thought I would be an age obsessor....but here I am.


Those who know me, know that each night, without fail - I complete "the routine".


The Routine consists of the following:

  • hair pulled back off face

  • eye makeup removed with cotton balls

  • face cleansed with either DDF brightening cleanser or DDF glycolic exfoliating wash

  • toner applied with cotton ball

  • teeth brushed

  • wrinkle cream

  • eye cream

  • night cream

  • aloe lip balm


Without fail I perform the routine. Transatlantic flight? yup. Saturday night after going sans makeup? yup. Sometimes, I have to forgo a step....usually the eyemakeup remover - because I can't always fit it into my quart bag for the airplane. To remedy that, I sometime use those pre-moistened cloths for the eye makeup when I travel.



The sad part is, if I don't do the routine, I can't sleep well. The ritual is almost the signal to my body to go to bed. I know what you are thinking ~ perhaps a slight case of OCD Annette

Perhaps, but so what.

Every person I know has teased me about the routine. Most especially other women. My job requires that I attend meetings thru the year, we always have another female roommate - and inevitably there are late nights of cocktails. Most of the women come back to the room and fall face first onto the bed - eyeliner and foundation still on!!!!Oh the horror!

No matter how tired, I do the routine. Always telling myself, that if I don't....I won't sleep. I will just lay there, wide awake. Thinking I should have just done the damn routine.

As I look closely at my face each day....do I see a difference? No. Do I continue to age? Yup.

But vindication was mine.

I was carded! Me! Carded when trying to have some wine at a restaurant! I thought the waitress was joking.

"No, I really need to see your id please."

I handed her my id.

She looked at it and said, "1972" then began to count the decades on her fingers.

"1982, 1992, 2002......crap! you are old!"

The best part was, she was in her 50's , not some 20 something thinking anyone over 25 is ancient.

I performed the routine with glee that night.

3 comments:

KrisCe said...

I so remember how happy you were about that whole carding incident.

CatBoy said...

I had a similar experience, but since the guy who said "Holy crap" followed it by saying that I was his dad's age, I got less excited about it.

My routine involves me buying a sunscreen that the sales person assures me is suitable for someone with very sensitive skin who works ourdoors, then returning it when it makes my face breakout. Still looking.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Perfume, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://perfumes-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.