Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Agony and The Ecstasy

This has nothing to do with Michelangelo or the Sistine Chapel. However, I expect my finished product to have the same awe inspiring effect on the attendees.....

I have been back and forth about 1000 times on what to make for Thanksgiving this year.
It is possible that because of being under the weather, my head has not been in it.
But here is the menu so far. (I am so happy to have settled the matter)

Antipasti for mingling and wine drinking: (music mix to include Bobby Short and Blossom Dearie)
Spicy Cheese Log & Crackers
Herb & Cheese Coins ~ a delightful savory cookie made with blue cheese and walnuts
Spiced Nuts
Marcona Almonds
Olives
Hummus
(this is my favorite part of any get together - the liquor and snacks.....I am thinking some Manhattens are in order too....the music almost demands them)
Primi Piatti:
Butternut Squash Soup
Secondi:
Herb Roasted Turkey with Maple/Orange Glaze

Contorno:
Corn Bread & Sausage Stuffing
Crisp Green Beans w/ Sun Dried Tomatoes
Mashed Potatoes
Balsamic Glazed Pearl Onions
Corn Pudding
Cranberry Apple Crisp

Dolci:
Asian Pear Pie
Assorted Biscotti
Pumpkin Mousse Parfaits
And totally unrelated - I see I have a reader from Gillette Wyoming....my uncle used to live there ~ he had this really cheesy one liner on Gillette ~ "Gillette, the sharpest town in the west"
Sorry...I had to get that out of my system. You can blame my Uncle Gerry.

3 comments:

CatBoy said...

I love the menu, I love Blossom Dearie (who retired the VERY week I was in NYC in 2005 so I never got to see her), and I love your approach.

Thanksgiving, to me, is all about taking the traditional and blending in your specific culture and your asthetic. Excellent job.

CatBoy said...

PS. I have a recipe for a Manhattan that I am looking for- if I find it, I'll pass it along.

newestYorker said...

I recently had a Manhattan with a big giant boozy Bing cherry in it, YUM.