Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Transatlantic Crossing ~ part due

Knowing that we had ample time to re-group prior to boarding our Air Canada flight to Rome...we decided to take care of some important business.
#1 the ladies room
#2 the duty free shop

One lesson we learned on past trips to Italy, is that Italians know how awesome they are and how awesome their country is. Italy has it all! Great Food, Great Fashion, Great Cars, Great Wine... When trying to buy gifts for Italian family members...we have found that buying them what they know and like and use is the best course of action.

So we loaded up on bottles of Sambuca at the Duty Free Shop.


(i like to shop at the duty free shop, i like to shop at the duty free shop) ((i recall that seinfeld episode everytime i see or say duty free shop.))

Purchasing one for each household on the farm.

There are 3 houses on the property....

  • Zio Mario lives with his wife, his eldest son, his daughter, her husband and 3 children.

  • Zia Anna Maria lives with her eldest son, his wife, their 2 childern, her other daughter in law and another granddaughter.

  • Zio Richetto lives with his wife, his only daughter, her husband and their 3 children.

Before you think we cheaped out and only brought Sambuca, we did have more gifts in our luggage - but we will get to that later.

Now that the duty free shopping was done, we had taken our trip to the ladies...we were called to board the flight!

Finally! I was so excited that I was bouncing up and down in line....perhaps I could have used a bit of Ritalin to take the edge off...but I could not help myself!

As we headed down the jetway, and rounded the corner of the aircraft.........shocking discovery! This plane had to be a good 20 years old. It was not roomy like the commuter jet. It did not have individual entertainment systems. It had a green interior. That's right folks....green.

As I opened my overhead bin ~ I discovered that directly above my seat lived the ancient VCR system for the aircraft. I had no overhead space. So I shoved my bottles of Sambuca above the seats in front of me. Stashed my bags at my feet, and decided that at least my bags could act as my footrest. (trying very hard to see the glass half full)

As we got underway, I took some time to observe those seated around me. The plane had a 2-3-2 configuration.

My lovely aunt was to my left in the window seat. To my right was a nice older lady. She was part of a tour group - but not seated near her companions. Directly behind me was a nice couple that barely spoke 3 words to one another the entire journey. And in front of me was a couple that seemed to enjoy Nascar. The man looked like Sam Elliott. He had a sort of handlebar/motorcycle dude mustache thing happening. I liked Sam until he decided to recline his seat into my lap 2 seconds after take off. Thanks Sam. 7 hours to go!

As we took off, I settled in for my flight. I took off my shoes and put on my cozy black slipper socks, I had my book at the ready in the seat pocket in front of me "Suite Francaise". I did take the headphones offered because despite that fact that the plane was ancient...they were showing a movie....not on tv screens in the seat, not in tv screens that came out of the ceiling, but on the projector screen the flight attendent pulled down at the bulkhead.....Lucky for us we were only 6 rows back...pity the folks further back.

Air Canada - not exactly on point with entertainment choices. We had 2 movies to see. Oceans 13 and Beetlejuice.


Ocean's 13 ~ hey, any day that includes George Clooney and Brad Pitt is a good day to me.


Beetlejuice ~ Hello, wasn't that movie made in the 80's? ok, maybe 90 or 91. I still am laughing about this choice. Apparently it was an October/Halloween theme.


I was looking forward to my meal....any transatlantic crossing must include wine. And I was anxious to officially start my vacation. Lucky for me, the meal service began and I quickly had my wine in hand. We toasted 'cin cin'! (Sam still reclining in my lap)


I chose the chicken. Marisa went for the beef. I was actually pleasantly surprised with my meal...the chicken was in a curry sauce and served with a chutney and rice. The dessert was icky. It was apparently a chocolate mousse...but I am still not convinced with what they were trying to do there. (Sam still in my lap - he had the beef)


After eating my meal, and watching George and Brad seek revenge on Al Pacino - I began my transatlantic crossing evening routine.

I am a creature of habit. It is critical that I get my sleep. In order to do that, I have to go thru my nightly ritual.

Eye makeup off, face cleansed, moisturizer applied, teeth brushed, lip balm applied...ready for bed. I headed to the bathroom with my zip loc baggie of 3.4 oz liquids and began the routine. I emerged fresh faced and ready for sleep. I set my watch ahead 6 hours ~ knowing that when I woke, we would be just about there.

I settled in with my pillow, blanket and eye mask. (Sam was still snuggly in my lap)

After a few hours of sleep, I awoke to see the last few scenes of Beetlejuice playing out on the screen up front. I pulled out my Italian lesson book and started cramming verbs. Fare, Avere, Sapere.........cramming often used words chi, quando, dov'e....cosi, allora, poi....

Marisa woke up and we determined that Chiarinna would be up by now starting to prepare pranza (lunch).....we started bouncing and clapping again. (i may have disturbed Sam for a moment...but he quickly drifted off again)

Now that I was fully awake, I headed back to the bathroom.....3.4oz liquids in hand. Wash the face, moisturize, brush the teeth...returned to my seat and put on my makeup. Viola! I was all jet set again! I slipped on my shoes and was just returning all of my items to my bag when breakfast was served.

The lights came on - passengers began to open thier window shades and we could see that we were over land again! The Alps were below us as we sipped our orange juice, ate our yogurt and croissants. They even had green and white checked gingham placemats (it matched the green interior to perfection) I enjoyed seeing that Sam and his wife did not have that "oh so fresh look about them" the couple behind was ready to roll in Rome, and the nice lady next to me had bed head, but otherwise was in good spirits.

We were now ready to land at Fiumincino ~ bouncing commenced and Sam finally put his seat into the full and upright position. We had a safe and sound landing (the few italians on board began to clap ~ a custom that is very evident on Alitalia flights) - and out the windows I could see those trademark Italian trees.....I almost had to pinch myself that I was back. There is something about this place that is under my skin......

As we headed down the jet way, the most beautiful sight.....6 gorgeous italian men with wheelchairs for the old people on board. Ahhhhh, Italia!












8 comments:

CatBoy said...

I'm enjoying this tremendously.

chenchy said...

I so want you to experience what I experienced!

KrisCe said...

Can't wait to read more. You in your night time routines. Were those Italian trees... "the creepy italian trees"?

chenchy said...

They were not "the creepy italian trees" these were a different variety and shape.

Nevertheless....I am very fond of even the "creepy" variety.

chenchy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CatBoy said...

Creepy? Are you talking about Cypresses?

newestYorker said...

Being able to sleep through a flight like that is always a blessing. Ambien is a beautiful thing. I am loving all the details.

chenchy said...

"creepy italian trees" references a scene in Under the Tuscan Sun ~ and yes, they are cypresses.