Thursday, December 4, 2008

A random recap.....be prepared to be confused.

In the course of the past week, I have had so much to say...but not a moment to sit down and say it.
Now that I have a moment, I am too tired and just want to go to bed.

I was away from home this week, some weeks away from home are just brutally exhausting.
I feel like a wimp for saying that...but it is true.
The air in the hotel was dry and icky....my lips are cracked, I feel like I need to slather myself in moisturizer to make up for it.
I had a terrible time sleeping well....and I think that was because it was eerily quiet. Isn't that bizarre? Apparently I need background noise to sleep well. The slumping economy means not as many people traveling....and I know they put me in the last room down the hall on the 4th floor with no other people. In the morning I would come out and be the only door with a newspaper in front.
Creepy.
Now that I think about it, I must have been restless because I secretly knew I was alone and far, far away from any form of help at the front desk! And my blackberry went dead because I forgot my charger! At least I know the number to 911 in case an axe murder was coming to get me.

Thanksgiving was good. Not great. Good.
That seems to be a common theme with those I have spoken to. Here is why I am pissed.
My turkey sucked. I did not have total control of my turkey....and because I was not in total control, I feel the quality was not there. My friend Kyle offered to clean the turkey and then season it with my prepared herb butter. I was cringing watching him do it. He did not clean it the way I clean it....he did not pat the skin dry...he was haphazard in rubbing the butter under the skin...finally, I couldn't take it anymore and shoved him out of the way and took over. But it was too late....never again will I relinquish turkey control. When I ate it...ugh. The upside is, 2 days later the turkey rocked. Maybe because I entered the kitchen at 7am and left it at 10:30pm when the last dish was cleaned is why I thought my turkey sucked. That and the fact that I did not have total turkey control. I am bossy. I am mean. I like to be left alone in my kitchen. Get the hell out.

That night, I went to bed at about 10:31pm...I was pooped and had to be to work early, and drop Kyle off at the metro even earlier. I woke up at 11:30, 12, 12:24, 2:30, 3:30 and 5:00 - each time I contemplated calling my poor outlet managers that had to open at midnight. I was feeling guilt for not working that shift with one of them. But I resisted. At 5:15 I called my closest outlet to see how the night went....it went well. Thousands of dollars. and more thousands. I was happily optimistic for about 2 seconds that the Black Friday would be good, I would make my numbers and not be fired for being the worst DM ever. Then I called my other 2 outlets...they tanked. Retail is a brutal world, but I decided to put my best foot forward. I arrived early at my highest volume store, antlers in hand. We were going to have fun dammit.
We did have fun, the customers were annoying, they wanted the world for under $5 and I was frustrated. Let's not create deflation....let's not force retailers to discount even more please. This is my own grown up Christmas wish.
I came home pooped.
Ate chinese food and passed out on the couch watching Elf.

The tree is up, the lights are up, and I managed to buy a handful of gifts.
Then I left for a few days, now I am home, then I leave again.

3 comments:

KrisCe said...

I am shocked that you let anyone touch your turkey.
I hope your next set of travels goes better.

CatBoy said...

"I am bossy. I am mean. I like to be left alone in my kitchen. Get the hell out."

I believe I shall have that painted above my stove. I know preparing food is all about sharing and nurturing and all that wonderful crap, but I don't like having my vision screwed with either. If I am ever in your house, I will sit with a cocktail in hand and stay our of your way, simply observing and taking notes.

Anonymous said...

re: cat's comment, i thought that's why open floor plans were so big...didn't people get the hint?