Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Chili Cook Off! Culinary Excellence for the Judging...

I love Top Chef.
Usually each season - I don't feel like committing to a season - but I watch; and after one episode and I am hooked.
I have basically decided that I am a foodie - and that I can judge good food with authority.

After all - I was able to distinguish the distinct flavor of Chinese 5 spice in chocolate pudding.
(and that was after many, many glasses of wine)

So anyway - this past Sunday I attended a chili cook off to benefit Best Buddies. It was my first chili cook off - or as it was really touted as - a "one pot" cook off. The event was held at The Ginger Man pub. It was a fun little event and offered me my first opportunity to pretend I was Padma.

I did enjoy a tasty Hard Cider - Ace Pear. It was really yummy as I am not a beer drinker as a general rule and it gave me an appropriate buzz.

There were 10 pots to taste from - and I wish I had taken note.....but at the end of the day here is what is still sticking with me. The second to last one I tasted was VERY disappointing. Drain the fat off your meat!!!! Ugh...the greasy factor ruined your effort.

My two favorites were not even really chili - there was an Irish Stew and a Middle Eastern harissa thingy that were really yummy. I did get to taste 2 exceptional chilies - the first one was smoky with the perfect amount of heat - and the second one was on the sweeter side with just the right amount of heat. And as we have learned on Top Chef Texas this season - contained NO BEANS! Real Texas chili doesn't have beans!

I have decided that given the opportunity to taste multiple foods at once and stand in judgement is really a fun way to spend a Sunday. Throw in some tasty beverages and some music - what could be more perfect?

No comments: