Monday, January 10, 2011

Let Them Eat Cake! Qu'ils mangent de la brioche!

Marie Antoinette actually never said that.
It is just a nasty rumor spread by radical French Revolutionist propagandist punks.
And really, brioche isn't cake.
Yes, it is rich, decadent and delicious - but most definitely NOT cake.
And if you think about it - saying "let them eat cake" is actually quite nice. If I was a poor French peasant and the queen was offering up cake - I'd be 1st in line.
If I have not already mentioned in this blog before - I have read at least 5 biographies on Marie Antoinette. I highly recommend you pick one up.
And the Sophia Coppola movie with Kirsten Dunst? I am a fan. Lots are not - but I am.
Anyway, Cake has been a big subject the past few days.
I love cake.
I am never one to run from cake.
But a dilemma arose over whether or not to "Let them eat cake" at an upcoming bridal shower I am hosting.
It is a bridal brunch. BRUNCH.
I didn't even think cake would be an appropriate option.
Brioche maybe....but not Cake!
Certain parties began to insist that cake was a must.
I have struggled and struggled on this.
Those of you attending the shower must wait until the actual event to see if it is cake or no cake.
I'm still undecided....which is ironic.
Because I love cake.
The wedding cake is my favorite part of weddings.
The birthday cake is my favorite part of birthdays.
The question of cake is even more ironic because tomorrow is my birthday.
And I am hoping cake is involved.
Will Tim come thru with a cake? Or will I have to be irritated that he didn't and buy one on my own?
Like the cake at the shower question - the answer lies in the future.
As I reflected on cake. I pulled out some old birthday photos.
This one is me on my 1st birthday.
Clearly disappointed that no cake has yet appeared.
However, the cases of liquor on the right has my cousin Matthew on the full on waddle in his green jumpsuit.
By the next photo - I am now looking more excited. They put me in the high chair. That must equal cake. The presents I'm sure were a thrill - but you can almost see the look on my face that says, "What? No Cake?"
(and side note - why give a card to a one year old? really?!)



I do like how many photos there are of me and family gathered around cake.
It is a highlight.
I even sport a 'cake' themed hat in one photo.
What a striking fashion moment that was!
And no party hats appear on the 1, 5, 6 year old Annette, but on 17 paper cone hats are rocking the house.
Check out how I am about to nose dive into that delicious cake! Everyone else...eyes on the camera, Annette....eyes on the CAKE!
(actually, Nan wants some of that cake action too.)
My Mom even once sent me a package on my birthday when I was alone in Austin.
It had a box cake mix, a bottle of vegetable oil and a can of frosting and candles.
All I had to do was add water.
Wasn't that sweet?
Mom knew my love for cake knew no bounds...even if I had to make one on my own out of a box.
Oh for the love of Cake!










No comments: