Monday, January 14, 2008

Does it look like I have trouble getting anything I want?

Oh the Birthday Celebration!

What a fantastic time I had on Friday night!
I had 3 requirements for the festivities:
  • dinner
  • cocktails
  • cute boys (I know I should be politically correct and say attractive men)

When I arrived at Michelle's house - she informed me that of course it could be difficult to get all 3 requirements in one place - so we opted to optimize the experience by hitting 3 different places.

One place to eat, one place for cocktails, and one place for boys.

Dinner was at a familiar restaurant - (they happen to have excellent cocktails too.) I chose a simple cuban sandwich that was fantastic with my mojito. After spending a few hours chatting and eating, we headed up to stop #2 for the cocktail portion of the evening. This particular restaurant had a bar with a large selection of Sangrias. I chose a white wine sangria with peaches and cinnamon. It was delicious and comforting. Cinnamon has that effect. The bartender thought he was a cute boy, but his personality left much to be desired. Instead of lingering, we headed for our final stop.....Where the boys were.

As we arrived, I was happy to be required to show my id. I know that they were checking everyones id.....but nonetheless, for a brief shining moment I felt really young again.

As we entered the bar (a rowdy Irish pub) we were surrounded by music, cheering, laughing and fun. There was a great Irish band playing, a rowdy crowd and the drinks were flowing. Happily.....there were many cute boys all around. We ordered our beers and began to watch the show. And by show, I don't mean the band.....but the crowd. As is usual, we were chatting with various people and enjoying ourselves. Standing next to Michelle was this very tall woman. We had joked that she made us feel so short....she easily stood over 6 ft tall. Suddenly, she turned and exclaimed how much she loved my white trenchcoat! The trenchcoat led to more conversation - Her name was Theresa, she was an ICU nurse and she was very drunk. When she asked if we were there to pick up hot Irish men ~ I told her we were there to celebrate my birthday.

T ~"Today is your BIRTHDAY? OH MY GOSH! How old ARE you?!"

Me ~"I am 36 today."

T ~ "36?! No way.....I would have figured you for 28 MAYBE"

Me ~ "Theresa, you are my new best friend"

T ~ "no, seriously.....you look great. Do you use Botox?"

Umm, yeah. Thanks for the compliment and insult in under 20 seconds. I decided that I didn't like my new best friend Theresa anymore. I quickly turned my attention to someone else.

Despite my obvious snub of Theresa, she still felt comfortable reapproaching me and asking more questions. And I must admit, I found that watching Theresa was like watching a train wreck in action.

She was on a date. It was clearly a first date. And Theresa was not liking him. To drown her misery, she was drinking beer, followed by shots of whiskey, followed by more beer. She began to work her way down the bar....attempting to make friends along the way. She found a kindred spirit in 'bob girl' Bob girl had a bob haircut, and like Theresa was drinking heavily. T and B began to drink together. And then came the tequila shots.

Theresa leaned over and told me that she was a "raging bi-sexual" (those are her words) and that she was loving the big boobs on "bob girl".

I asked her how she thought she was progressing in her quest, when she said, "Does it look like I have trouble getting anything I want?"

Oh to be beautiful, young and that confident.

As the night continued, Theresa decided to make her move on 'bob girl'

'Bob Girl' was not amused. Uh, no. Hell no. NO. 'Bob Girl' got up and left. I must admit, I was pleased to see that the beauty that was Theresa did not always get everything she wanted.

I did get cute boys buying me drinks.

So in summation. I got my dinner, my cocktails and cute boys buying me drinks.

I did not have botox and I did not have a hangover in the morning. 36 looks good on me.

(don't know that Theresa will ever be able to say the same thing)

3 comments:

CatBoy said...

I love this post.

KrisCe said...

Sounds like you had a great time. Would of loved to see your reaction to the whole "botox thing"

chenchy said...

I believe I recoiled back and gave her 'the look with raised eyebrow'