Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Giving Thanks....



I received a late Christmas gift and an early Birthday gift yesterday.
(2 different gifts)
Both gifts remind me of something.
Gift giving should come from the heart.
It is not about how much you spend, how much you save. It is not about giving because you feel you have to. It is not about giving a gift just to say you did so. The gift should be heartfelt and have meaning.

The Christmas gift was a framed photo of a building in Rome.
When I opened the framed photo - my first thought was that this was going to look so beautiful hanging in my dining room. Further investigation of the photo made me notice the words etched on the facade......a close up on the photo reveals "Diva Faustina"
Faustina is the name of my beloved grandmother. My Nonnie. When my cousins noticed her name on the old Roman facade - they snapped a photo.
It is so beautiful to see her name etched forever in the Eternal City.
And even more fitting that the connection between food and Faustina was made even before I saw her name.

The Birthday gift was a book.
The book is titled "The Lost Ravioli ~ Recipes of Hoboken.....a search for food and family"

Inside, the personal inscription reads:
Because family & food are so precious to the both of us. I'm glad you are carrying on family traditions.
~Aunt Marisa
I feel loved and well thought of.....perhaps the best gift of all.






No comments: