Monday, June 9, 2008

Michael Francis Rizzi, do you renounce Satan?

I went to a baptism this weekend.
I can't help being at any baptism and not playing over in my mind the 'baptism, mass murder' scene from The Godfather.

Being a huge Godfather fan, I am full of factoids about that particular scene. Sophia Coppola was the baby, Diane Keaton didn't know how to hold a baby and Francis Ford Coppala's wife was freaking out off camera wanting to rush and prop up Sophia's head. (I can't help but watch that scene and wonder how it was they didn't stop filming long enough to get Diane to hold the baby correctly)

Anyway, the baptism was lovely.
It was held at Dahlgren Chapel on the Georgetown campus. (Also used in a scene from The Excorcist)
Quite the cinematic weekend I had.
The baby was precious, she didn't fuss at all. I think most of us were jealous that she got to have water poured on her head while we all sat there in the 97 degree heat.
The priest was a delight too. He took the time to explain the ritual and make light hearted remarks throughout. For the non-Catholics in attendence, this was a particualar treat.....most especially when they discovered there would be no mass.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My friend's black Pug is so cute. He carries his, and the other dogs', water bowl to his owner then drops the heavy ceramic on the floor at "daddy's" feet and pleads with his bug-eyed stare.

So cute that I asked if I could be his "godfather". We carried out a "baptism":

"Finn the Pug, do you renounce Satan?"

What can you say about that scene in the beautiful church with the precious baby interspersed with the gruesome killings building to a climax as it does while Bach plays all the way up to Al Neri's killing of Don Barzini?

Other than, "That was AWESOME !!"

I knew that it was Sophia and that Keaton couldn't hold the baby right, but thanks for the detail about Georgetown Chapel. I had wondered where that was.

BTW, you are lovely. And you know all about "The Godfather". You are some handsome NYC guy's dream.