Wednesday, June 4, 2008

No one's perfect, but I could always improve....

In an effort to fill my head with more interesting facts other than trivia about every season of The Real World.....I have begun listening for the last few weeks to this podcast.

I have to admit that the subject on Materialism had nothing to do with what I thought materialism meant. I was thinking materialism in the sense of a desire for wealth and material possessions with little interest in ethical or spiritual matters .
Wrong.....it turned out to be a 40+ minute discussion on matter. As in the universe is made of it.
It was deep. I had to listen to it a couple of times......and still, I am puzzled.


Over the last few weeks I was treated to subjects as diverse as a discussion on the Library of Ninevah, then The Black Plague, Enclosures (the 16th century practice of fencing off land and not having to share with everyone else, in other words, keep your sheep off my grass)


Today, I listened to the talk on Probability......way deep for my pea brain to wrap itself around. Most especially because of my deep seated fear of all things mathematical. But deeply profound really. There was an idea in it that had to do with Monty Hall and Let's Make a Deal. I have decided to experiment to see if I can figure out probability on my own. Put things in TV terms and suddenly I am ready to try to understand math!
Next weeks topic........Lysenkoism. Can you even imagine?!


No comments: