Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Music with Meaning



We keep coming back to this project for the reunion.....it has been a fascinating process.
I have asked everyone to submit their 'favorite' song to me.
It can be a song that they consider their 'theme' song, the song that makes them shake their bootie....whatever.

We will play the music throughout the reunion - play a game to match the song to the person....and then I will sell copies of the CD to use to pay for our catered event next year....but anyway....

The song selections have been trickling in.
I know that it is no easy task to pick your 'favorite' song.
I have about 385 favorite songs...how do I narrow it down to one?
Ask me what my favorite thing to eat is.....and I will most likely respond with "food". How can you pick just one song?
However, after much agony......I made my selection.
Do you want to know what it is? I bet you do....too bad you will have to wait, or buy the CD.

So as the songs come in, I have laughed at some of the choices, giggled at others...and said...."hhhmm interesting choice" or "hhhhmm, who knew?"
Seeing the songs of your 1st, 2nd, 3rd and removed cousins is fascinating.
Some were predictable, some unexpected.
And then today, I received my Pop's selection.


It really made my day.....
He sent me a note in the mail ~
Annette
Here is my favorite song
Irving Berlin 1918
revised 1938
Spoken Introduction

While the storm clouds gather far across the sea. Let us swear allegiance to a land that's free. Let us all be grateful for a land so fair. As we raise our voices in a solemn prayer.
God Bless America
Land that I love
Stand beside her and guide her
through the night with the light from above
From the mountains
To the prairies
To the ocean white with foam
God Bless America
My Home Sweet Home

If you can read this thank a teacher
If you can read this in English thank a Vet
P.S Annette
I Love You
Pop

How sweet is he? I had one of those moments where I could actually feel my heart swell with love for him. As he ages, his war stories slowly come out. And I realized that his favorite song means more to him than any song any of us could ever pick.

It is a bit early for Memorial Day.....but this is my early tribute to my Pop-pop.
I love you too Pop!

1 comment:

KrisCe said...

How sweet. I was going to ask you about this and here it is on your blog.