Friday, May 7, 2010

Mom Made It Happen


I have a fondness for myself that perhaps borders on narcissiscm.
I can't help it. I like me.

Do I perhaps need therapy? Could I dig a bit deeper into the psyche to find out why I do what I do? Sure!
But at the end of the day, I am really happy with the person I am.
I only have a handful of people to thank for that....and Mom is one of them.

(that's me in there!------------------------------>)





I have a closeness to my Mom that I feel is very special - mainly because for the first few years of me - it was just the two of us.
And let's face it.....we were both kids. My mom 22 and me a newborn.

She spent her early 20's with a baby,toddler, and a preschooler......Dad was off in the Navy....gone for months at a time. We were on our own.

Because of this, I think Mom and I became each other's best friend.
Every early memory is of Mom.
She has even told the story of my birth so much....that I felt like I was a witness to the whole thing!
It is as if my own birth was my first memory......all thanks to the memories of my Mom.

I was an overdue baby.
I was also huge. 9lbs 8oz If memory serves.
Mom was scheduled to have a C-section because I didn't seem to be coming anytime soon
(i always do prefer to do things on my own timeline)
She had plans to visit my Dad's family for her favorite dinner, my Grandmother made a cheese and mushroom stuffed chicken breast that Mom loved.

Unfortunately, labor started and she had to miss dinner to go to the hospital.
She was pissed.
(isn't it nice that she let's me know all these years later that the very first thing I did....pissed her off)

In 1972, Mom was a bit naive.
When her water broke in the hospital, she was mortified.
1. she had no idea what just happened - she thought she peed herself
2. her own mother was an OB nurse in the hospital (maybe a little motherly advice about the birthing process was in order here Nan?)
3. on top of her mother being there, so was her aunt, and my dad's aunt - all OB nurses - and all there to witness the wonder of wonders that was to be my birth!

Mom was also pissed because my Dad was not there. He was on a ship in the middle of the Mediterranean. I can't imagine being alone, in pain and you just wet yourself in front of everyone.

The next bit of the story is hazy - I don't know why or how, but Mom does not really recall the birth.
And now, she says giving birth is no big deal....she doesn't even remember it hurting.
!?!?!?!??!??!?!??!?!??!
You just pushed out a 9lb+ baby and don't remember?
Maybe there was a benefit to having relatives in the hospital. Maybe they were able to give you a little something to take the edge off.
shhhhh...we won't say a word. But it now seems possible Nan and Aunt Tina were dealing to pregnant women.

When I was born, out I came and everyone exclaimed over what a beautiful baby I was.
I know this, because my cousin Sandra was a candy striper in the same hospital at the time - and still says I was the prettiest baby ever. (our family was running that hospital)

"It's a girl!" "isn't she beautiful?" "look at how pretty"

My mother's reaction?
"eeeewww......that's what you call beautiful? she's ugly"



So let's recap.


First, I get in trouble for making her miss her favorite dinner.

Second, I am ugly.

Lucky for me - with the gaggle of grandma's, nonna's and aunts around - they whisked me off to my first photo shoot, so overcome with my beauty.
I am not kidding - there are about 20 different versions of newborn baby photos taken of me.


In some I am naked (like this one), in some I have on a shirt, some are close ups, most have me looking pissed.

No doubt because my own Mother has just called me ugly and now they are photographing me like the paparazzi getting the reaction shot from some down and out washed up celebrity whose mother has just written a tell all.

(aren't flashes bad for baby eyes?)
All these years my Mom blamed my poor vision on reading under the covers with a flashlight....hhhmmm

I spent my childhood years pouring over the album of photos of that day and the days that followed, asking Mom questions and having her retell the stories.
  • Looking at Mom in the hospital bed with me inside her!

  • Looking with horror at the awful, ugly baby that came out.....horrified by the umbilical cord! gross!

  • More relieved to see the photos with shirts.

  • Looking at my Grandparents holding me - none of them with gray hair.

  • Seeing my Great Grandparents holding me - my only real memories of one of them from photos.

  • My uncles and aunts - some so young they were still in high school......

  • And the best part of that album - the photos of mom holding me with the biggest smile....and me, finally looking not so ugly.

I love you Mom ~ thanks for making the best memories!

Love,

Netterboo
























No comments: